Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Head Dilemma..

Ok so I have two drum sets. One is the Gretsch which you've seen in the first post.. the other is my baby.. Yamaha Recording custom. I was kind of afraid to bring it to school and play with it because of how nice and expensive it is.. which I realized after I played it again the other day was really really dumb. The sizes for that set are 10" 12" 14" 16" and 22". the 10 and 12 have clear G2's on them and the other two have clear EC2's. The bass has a clear EQ3. The heads are old, but I haven't played them in a long time because the kit's been kept in my basement while I'm at school. So the heads are old but not beaten to hell. I was really looking into getting either the black suede heads from Remo or the onyx heads from Evans. The two seem like they'd be similar but apparently not. The suede heads are supposed to be quite bright where the onyx heads are rather dark. An old friend of mine (who I used to work with at Guitar Center) said he put the Onyx heads on his Orange County kit and he absolutely loves them. He said they're incredibly durable and sound great, but they have a very dark sound. I'm assuming he meant that the attack isn't as pronounced. That got me thinking though.. I like attack and sustain.. I like my higher toms to sing and be heard and I like my lower toms to be big, focused, with attack.
So I tuned the kit again something hit me. I fell in love with the heads I chose from the beginning and kind of feel slightly dumb for it! The clear heads
give me that attack I'm looking for and he EC2's have that muffling ring around the edge that controls the over tones perfectly... Along with re-falling in love with the drums I remembered I have a whopping $2 in my bank account... yay for being a broke college student??

'Til next time friends.....





No comments:

Post a Comment