Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Evans Genera Resonant

Last week I had to change my bottom head of my snare drum. The snare itself started to sound a little lifeless. I've always used the Evans "hazy" series heads so I thought I'd try something a little different. I was walking around Sam Ash in White Plains and browsed the heads section and was looking at the variety of bottom snare heads. I read the little tag and it said that it was slightly thicker than usual and got rid of some overtones (always my problem). I bought it and slapped it on my snare. Within the last 5 days I've had 2 recording sessions and thought it'd be a good excuse to mess around with the tunings and what not. The first recording it sounded really dark and not very good to be honest. I didn't have much time to tweak it around so I was kind of stuck with this dry dark sounding snare drum.. not very good for the pop/rock I was recording. Before the 2nd session (last night) I had plenty of time to mess around with it. I tuned the bottom a bit tighter than usual and it started to take on a more lively character, while still taking out some overtones. It honestly sounded great. It had a great attack, not too ringy, and a nice pop to it. I slapped a single moon-gel on it and it sounded very very nice. I got a picture of how it was mic'd up and when I get the recordings I'll post those up too. I'm thinking about trying the remo black suede heads next and I'll definitely be writing a blog up about those guys...

Here's a pic of the snare... it's a Pearl Masters maple 14x6 I think....

No comments:

Post a Comment