Wednesday, March 16, 2011

About the blog, Then the Gretsch


Hey everyone, you like drums, you want to read about things related to drums, you want product reviews, you're not alone. I looked around on the internet and found some halfway decent sites but nothing with pure honest product review, so I'm going to do it. My first review is going to by my baby, my Gretsch Birch Catalina kit. I absolutely love this thing. I use it for live shows, recording, and teaching and it does it all for a good price and has an amazing sound. I first heard the kit when I was about 14-15 years old (I'm 23 now) and fell in love with it right away. I walked into the store, the guy set it up for me, and I played it and wanted it immediately without even looking at the price tag. I played some kits that cost about a grand to $1,500 and they sounded ok but this kit sounded great for $750. At the time they were selling it with an 8, 10, 12, 14" tom's 14" snare and 22" bass drum. The bass sounded like a monster and the toms sounded like they were in a recording studio, even though I was in the cymbal room of guitar center. I've put many different kinds of heads on everything and I've found that they sound best with Evans G2 coated on the toms and an Evans eq2 or 3 on the bass. At a recording studio I interned for they lined the bass drums with those egg crate sound proofing things and I've been doing it ever since and I'll never NOT do it again. If you can find one of these kits, grab it. Don't ask questions.. go and get it and you'll be amazed.




No comments:

Post a Comment